After the miscarriage my biggest fear is that my body would revert back to how it was before the surgery – not ovulating. I’m still a little traumatized by the whole cyst/losing an ovary experience so I am not exactly keen on having to go back to the RE anytime soon.
So I decided to take matters into my own hands. I wrote about how I saw my new Endo and getting put on Metformin, that was step 1. But I also decided to take Vitex (Chaste Berry). I’ve heard a lot of good things about it, even during the Fertility Telesummit conference back in March. It is used to help regulate cycles and increase progesterone – both things that I need.
I started taking both of these before the miscarriage had officially finished, I figured why wait? But now I am concerned that I royally screwed up. It never occurred to me to look up the link between Vitex and cysts in PCOS patients. There isn’t a whole lot of information on the subject that I could find, but what I did find was not exactly comforting. It said that Vitex can act like Clomid – which caused George.
The reason that I started looking all this up is because I’ve been feeling a bit of pressure down near my left ovary regions. Also the past few times that J and I have done the deed there has definitely been some pressure that has never been present before, I won’t say pain because it doesn’t really hurt, but it is starting to concern me. What if I took this herb and caused another cyst? What is going to happen?
I called my OB today and explained what is going on, but I can’t get in to see her till next Tuesday. I think it should be fine, even if there is a cyst I doubt it has had enough time to grow to George status and cause issues, but I’m thinking till I know for sure maybe I should stop taking the Vitex. Who knows, maybe I’m just being paranoid which I’ve been known to do in the past.
Any of my fellow PCOSer’s have any experiences with Vitex? Am I being completely irrational with my fears?
The other thing that is odd is I think I may have ovulated… Bizarre no? I’m not positive but I started getting the sensitive nips which is always a sign of ovulation for me on Tuesday. So yesterday and this morning I took my temp. Wednesday was in a pre-O range, but I’m a slow riser which I’ve proved in the past and today was high. BUT I’ve also heard that Vitex can increase your progesterone so it might be that. I just don’t know. I’ll continue to check my temp until I’ve figured this whole mess out.
Why do I not think before I do?